- Zelenski: Peace mission in Ukraine? Poland’s idea. I do not fully understand this proposal. | Agnieszka Pomaska
Zelenski: Peace mission in Ukraine? Poland’s idea. I do not fully understand this proposal. 1.04.2022, written by Łukasz Bejm
– We do not need a frozen conflict on the territory of our country. I explained this during a meeting with our Polish colleagues, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenski stated, referring in an interview with independent Russian media to the issue of a possible peacekeeping mission on Ukrainian territory, which Deputy Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski had previously spoken about.
During a recent visit to Kiev by the heads of government of Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovenia in the Ukrainian capital, Deputy Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski stated at a press conference that” a peacekeeping, humanitarian mission from NATO and perhaps other organizations, but shielded by arms, is needed on Ukrainian territory”. – Ukraine is a sovereign state. If it agrees to such a mission, that is completely sufficient, it will be completely acceptable under international law and in no way will it be a casus belli, Kaczyński said at the time.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenski gave an interview to journalists from independent Russian media, including the Meduza portal and the dailies „Kommiersant” and „Novaya Gazeta”. One of the questions concerned the possible deployment of NATO peacekeepers on Ukrainian territory.
– When the invasion started, when the threats to our nuclear power plants, to other strategic undertakings appeared, we proposed in one form or another to invite some peacekeepers there. But we didn’t expect that, he said.
– This is Poland’s idea – to send peacekeepers to Ukraine. I do not yet fully understand this proposal. We do not need a frozen conflict on the territory of our country. I explained this during the meeting with our Polish colleagues – stated the President of Ukraine,
– I know that they continued this rhetoric. Fortunately, or unluckily, this is still our country, I am the president, so for now we will decide whether there will be any forces here – added Zelenski.
Russia’s state media and Internet regulator, Roskomnadzor, has warned Russian media against publishing an interview with Zelenski. The transcript of the conversation has already been published by Meduza portal.